Wednesday 6 February 2013

Autobiographies - Grammar Detectives

Another quick resource. My Year 8s are currently writing an extract from their autobiographies. During the preparation of these autobiographies, I turned the class into thieves. Grammar thieves. We looked at a number of autobiographies and copied out some sentence constructions which we thought would be good to use in their writing. I have found that these constructions have transformed their writing. 

Xris32



By now I had ….
I have to …
From the time I …. , I have …
I knew … , but I still …
I would do anything to …
But by far…
For years after that …
By this time, I …
Little did I know …
Two weeks later, I …
That’s not to say that …
Eventually, I decided to …
Take my ….
When the … and the … had begun, I ….
For a reason I could never properly understand, ….
After it all…
After years of …
Soon afterwards
In the following …., I learnt …
A year later, …
At the time, …
Ever since I was a child, I…
But there was nothing I could do…
Shortly after,…
In fact, to be brutally honest…
It is strange that …
By the time this happened, I …
That evening, I …
People would …. but so and so would ….
To accomplish this, …
Then of course I …
Now, after year of waiting, ….
Towards ….. , the …… happened…

1 comment:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.